It is an expectation that sessional staff will only claim allowances directly related to the time taken to travel to and from work for TASC.
Travel and accommodation claims
We understand that some Setting Examiners, Critics, Markers, Marking Coordinators, Supervisors and Supervisor Coordinators will need to travel to attend compulsory TASC meetings. Markers, Marking Coordinators may also need to travel to TASC marking centres.
Meetings will be arranged to accommodate travel time and Skype will be enabled wherever possible to reduce the need for travel.
What TASC can reimburse
- a meal allowance while travelling (no tax receipt is required by TASC however you may need to retain copies of your receipts under ATO travel allowance/income ruling):
- dinner and breakfast are paid for an overnight stay (at the overnight rate) unless these are included in the accommodation deal (and the accommodation component of the bill exceeds the allowance).
- a lunch allowance (at the overnight rate) may be paid where travel times align with the schedule of allowances and the work has necessitated travel (or ongoing work) over the uncatered lunch period (this is not common).
- an overnight accommodation allowance where necessary to attend a TASC compulsory meeting:
- a copy of your receipt must be provided to TASC (you may need to retain copies of your receipts under ATO travel allowance/income ruling).
What TASC cannot reimburse
- the time taken to travel to compulsory TASC meetings (or exam centres for Markers).
- daily lunch allowance for same day travel
- lunch on a day where the meeting has been catered for.
- lunch on a day when there is no TASC meeting (compulsory meeting or exam centre gathering).
- costs associated with accommodation and travel if the TASC meeting (or marking centre) is close to your place of employment.
To be reimbursed for daily or overnight accommodation and meal expenses, employees must submit a claim for payment to email@example.com using the Travel Reimbursement of Expenses Claim Form. To facilitate quick reimbursement, please ensure that you:
- Fill in your travel diary so we can ascertain which allowances you are entitled to.
- Provide a receipt for your accommodation (where applicable) with your Travel Claim Form.
- Don’t alter the allowance amounts (these are set by DoE).
- Complete and submit for approval, an Application to provide private motor vehicle form prior to travel.
- Attach your Application to provide private motor vehicle form (once authorised by the Executive Officer, TASC) with each claim which includes kilometreage.
- Include the rates applicable to the vehicle you have been authorised to use.
- Sign the form.
Additional information must be provided if you wish to claim personal vehicle use or hire costs (see below).
Vehicle use for compulsory meetings
TASC has expectations regarding reimbursements paid for vehicle hire and private motor vehicle use when attending compulsory meetings:
- Sessional staff are expected to use work cars and travel with other employees wherever possible. DoE teachers can access corporate pool cars in Campbell Street and Hobart Central carpark and Letitia House. Southern-based Independent and Catholic School teachers can contact TASC to book a DoE corporate pool car.
- TASC can arrange an AVIS hire car for sessional staff travel (view Avis office locations, then specify pick up times and locations using the Travel Approval Form). Please be mindful that we are charged in 24 hour blocks.
- If (and only if) work pool cars, car pooling or AVIS hire cannot be arranged, sessional staff can use their own vehicle and be reimbursed using the Application to provide private motor vehicle form and Travel Reimbursement of Expenses Claim Form. Please note approval for applications to provide private motor vehicle forms expire after 12 months.
- TASC will reimburse for travel if you travel more than 60kms from your normal place of employment
TASC sessional staff are considered ‘occasional users’ and therefore an allowance shall be paid in accordance with the following current Department of Education allowances:
||Cents per kilometre
||Cents per kilometre
||Rate 3 (2 litres and above)
||Rate 4 (less than 2 litres)
|First 10 000 kms
Any additional kms
Motorcycles – the rate for motorcycles is 9.67 cents per kilometre.
Other expenses (receipts essential)
If you are claiming for fuel or parking as part of your Travel Reimbursement of Expenses Claim, the official receipts with an ABN must be provided. Please note that fuel expenses cannot be claimed if you are using a private motor vehicle and accessing the per-kilometre rate.
Additional information is available in the schedule of allowances.