What is an ‘unexpected result’?
An unexpected result is one that is substantially different from the results you were achieving internally and were expecting to achieve.
- Example 1: You may have achieved an A internally (school-based assessment) on one criterion but externally you received a C. This may be considered an unexpected result.
- Example 2: Your overall internal ratings may have provided you with the possibility of achieving an overall award of Exceptional Achievement, but your final overall award was a Commendable Achievement. This may be considered an unexpected result.
Why did I receive an ‘unexpected result’?
Your internal ratings (school-based results) are a result of many opportunities to demonstrate your knowledge, understanding and skill to your teacher over the year.
An external assessment is one opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge, understanding and skill. The specific exam and how you perform on the day can be one factor in receiving an unexpected result.
Should I request to inspect my written exam?
You can best recognise if your exam performance on the day was equal to your internal assessment performance. If you have received an unexpected result (as outlined above) and you believe you performed well on the day of the exam, then you should speak with your teacher about inspecting your exam.
If your teacher agrees that the results you have received are unexpected and that the specific exam would not have affected your ability to perform well, then you may request to inspect your written exam.
Eligibility: If you have received an unexpected result (as outlined above) you are eligible to request to inspect your written exam. You cannot request a remark of your written exam papers, but if you feel there could be an administrative or procedural error (such the number of marks allocated weren’t added up correctly or that some of the material wasn’t marked) you can use the inspection process to check.
What external assessment results can’t be inspected?
The inspection request application form lists the written exams that can be inspected. See the full list of available courses below.
Inspections are not available when the external assessment ratings awarded have already undergone a specific review and verification process by being:
- Panel marked – marked by a group of markers
- Double marked – each part has been marked by two separate markers independently
- Re-marked during the borderline process – the Marking Coordinator and a group of markers review and make a final determination.
If your results have been reviewed through the borderline process, the Course Criterion Profile Statement you receive by email will say ‘Reviewed by TASC Assessment Panel’ alongside your course result.
How much does it cost to inspect exam material?
There is a fee of $17.00 (per exam) to inspect exam material.
What are the application dates for inspections of 2022 written exams?
- 2 January – applications close for first-round requests to inspect written exams (Year 12 and 13 students only).
- 5 February – applications close for second-round requests to inspect written exam material (all students who did not submit a first–round request).
Can I ask someone to come with me to the inspection?
Yes, you can bring one experienced support person with you to the inspection. An experienced support person is someone who has had current experience with the course such as someone who has taught or marked the course within the last three years. Speak with your school about who may be able to support you at the inspection.
What happens if an error is found?
If there is a clear process error it will be corrected, and you will receive information about the changes applied as well as any revised results documents (where applicable).
What other ways can I get information or ask questions?
If you just want to see the exam paper, all written exam papers are published online within three working days of that exam. Go to the specific Course page and select “Supporting documents including external assessment material”.
You can use the Results Query form to raise any matters related to your results. The FAQs for students on your results may answer your query. Please do not send multiple queries. We receive a large volume of queries when results are issued and will respond as quickly as possible.
You can also order a copy of your written exam papers (see details at ‘Request to inspect/order copies of your written exams’ below).