Applicants may be required to provide the TASC with certified copies of important documents including qualifications achieved interstate or overseas, passports, citizenship or visa documentation.

A certified copy is a copy of an original document that has been verified as being a true copy of the original document and certified by an authorised person. An authorised person is a Justice of the Peace, Commissioner for Declarations or, if overseas, a Notary Public. The authorised person certifying the photocopy must sight the original document and include the following details on all pages that contain information:

  • the official stamp or seal of their profession or organisation,
  • include the statement “This is a true copy of the document sighted by me” and;
  • include the date, contact number and signature of the person certifying the copy

Who can certify my documents?

Commissioners for Declarations


  • Justice of the Peace
  • Legal practitioner
  • Medical practitioner
  • Pharmacist
  • Police officer
  • Accountant who is a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, the Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants, or the National Institute of Accountants or the Association of Taxation and Management Accountants or Registered Tax Agents
  • Bank, building society or credit union officer with five or more years of continuous service
  • Members of Parliament, or local government councillors
  • Public sector permanent employees with 5 years continuous service
  • Ministers of religion under the Marriage Act 1961
  • Police officers
  • Commissioned officer, warrant officer or non-commissioned officer of the Australian Defence Force
  • Sheriff or Sheriff’s officer
  • Teacher employed on a full-time basis at a school or tertiary education institution

A full list of persons classified as a Commissioner for Declarations, is available online. Please visit the Department of Justice

Justices of the Peace

Telephone the Legal Aid Commission on 1300 366 611 for Justice of the Peace contact details.